Tag: series

Premier Series 1 timps (part 2) (Job No: 1228)

It is a long time since I wrote part 1.  This is what happens when I don’t get paid; all incentive to do the subsequent jobs fade away.  Then of course when I do finally get paid, the work has to be rescheduled.  In the mean time I have a hundred and one other jobs to do and the weeks roll by.  The other side of not getting paid of course is that I can’t buy food, or pay my bills, but that whole concept fails to register with many of my customers!

wpid-screenshot_2015-04-26-10-16-482.jpg.jpg

Anyway, I digress (as usual).  So in part one I got to the point where the bases could be welded.  As you can see below, I have totally reformed and trnasformed the under side of the casting.

wpid-img_20150410_130005.jpg

Another classic bodge job is just bolting a caster on when the big tilt stem has been lost.  The caster was held on with a 10mm bolt, the hole in the casting for the tilt stem is 19mm.  I find it staggering that anyone would think that that was going to work.

wpid-photogrid_14302073125972.jpg.jpg

There is little that I can do with the resulting damage.  Fortunately, the casting is thick and the thread is coarse, so after re-tapping the holes, replacement tilt stems works well.  Easy job really if you have the equipment and the parts.  If you don’t have either, they shouldn’t be doing the job!

wpid-img_20150413_122612.jpg

Premier Series 1 Timpani (Job No: 1228)

When I overhaul a set of timps, there is a lot of work involved over a period of days or even weeks. My approach is to fix everything properly; I am after all a professional and that is what I am being paid to do. However not everyone is as conscientious, and in the end, you get what you pay for. So when I work on timpani, I am fixing problems associated with wear and tear, and the dogs dinner that the previous person made of the job. The posts on timpani pick out examples of problems I encounter, rather than me writing, and you reading the same thing every time I do a set of timpani (which is why I have coloured this bit blue).

Very frequently I get jobs in to do that have obviously been repaired by someone else in the past.  We all have different standards, budget constraints, levels of knowledge, skill and methods.  All that I accept, and it is useful for me in order to evaluate what I do.  However sometimes I almost laugh in disbelief at what I am seeing.

wpid-wp-1419754676539.jpeg

I can see why they have done this – the base casting has practically worn away, but ignoring the facts that it won’t work, and it has been done really badly, it looks bloody awful.

Removing all of that mess in itself is a job.  What it reveals is the state of the castings prior to the last repair.  To me it looks like no preparation was done at all.

wpid-wp-1419755161744.jpeg

So all the sharp edges need to be filed smooth, and some of the bits that look solid, are in fact like tin foil.  What I need to do the job properly is solid metal.

wpid-wp-1419755504124.jpeg

Now at least when the repair is done there will be clean lines and it will look good as well as actually doing the job.  All it takes is a little bit more effort and time, and respect for other peoples property.

These will now go out to be aluminium welded, so the post will continue.