Latest Posts

According to references [Groves dictionary of musical instruments I think] the number of instruments in the percussion family exceed six hundred. In reality most of the instruments will be closely related and very rare. Furthermore the standard orchestral range of instruments is smaller still. Even so, I work on a broad variety of instruments, and yet I am still asked if I repair guitars or whatever. My brain can hardly cope with all the knowledge associated with my own specialism without taking on other sections of instruments, I will leave those instruments for those instrument makers!

So to demonstrate the diversity of what I do do [hehe], below are all the posts I have written, in chronological, order starting with the two latest (which are featured on the home page) and going backwards into the depths of time.

Xylophone Tuning (Job No: 1294)

Having realised that I rarely write anything about the tuning work that I do, I decided that I better ammend the ommission since, after all, it is at the core of what I do. So this is more of a general introduction to the process and a video which is probably too long showing part of what I am doing on the first and most important day of the tuning process.

1″ Chimes (Job No: 1301)

If you are having a frame made for an existing set of chimes, then it makes sense to have the additional bells made to increase the playing range to include the top G instead of finishing at the F.

Deagan Aurora (part 3) (Job No: 1256)

With the damper system fully overhauled and installed into the now working frame, the next part of the assembly are the resonators followed by the motor. Finally the note bars are put on and the instrument is ready to be played. So in the last of these posts this is the order in which I do the work.

Deagan Arora (part 2) (Job No: 1256)

There are several aspects to overhauling vibraphones; the instrument frame, the damper system, the resonators, the motor and finally the notes. In part one I looked at the damper system. In this post I look at the rest of the instrument, and everything needed doing!

Premier Vibe Note Pegs (Job No: 1264)

The little rubber note peg caps that Premier use on their 7 series vibes, or rather the lack of them, has been a growing problem. After receiving more and more requests for them, the time had arrived for me to address the problem and produce an alternative spare part. This post contains an instructional video on how to use the final kit I produce.

Technical Support (Job No: 1275)

Because I am the person who looks after all the orchestral instruments belonging to a big company in instrument and backline hire, I was the obvious choice when it came to providing on site technical support.

Adams Universal Timpani (Job No: 1263)

When these Adams timps were brought in to be overhauled, the customer was complaining, amongst other minor issues, about the drums buzzing. As soon as I heard the drums I knew what the problem was:
Adams universal timpani are built using the same method as Ludwig timps; the bearing edge is formed from a steel extrusion which is fitted into the bowl. In this case the bowl is copper, but the same process is used with their fibreglass timpani. Between the copper bowl and the steel ring is packing tape to fill the gap. This post shows what I do to solve the problem.

Premier Tubular bells (Job No: 1277)

Whenever any percussion instrument has moving parts on it, like the damper system on tubular bells, there are always going to be issues unless the relevant parts have been designed properly. This post looks at the recurring problem with Premier tubular bells.